Sunday, April 20, 2014

Re-based AWI dragoons

I couldn't face the prime red figures I have so I decided to bite the bullet and start rebasing some of my older 1/72-scale stuff onto washers. I started with the AWI.

These six guys are American dragoons. I used a slightly bigger washer the normal to get each fellow onto a base with his horse. The horse wouldn't be brought forward into combat but, without the horse, it is hard to tell the dragoons from the rest of the militia.

Up next: I have the rest of the rebels drying: some 57 foot men, four command bases, four cannon and 8 crew. The Indians are off their old bases and onto new ones while the British look on with envy.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

It's a Small World after all

We had a dozen guys out at the club for our last night before our MayDay convention on May 3. Michael kindly brought out Small World and taught Bruce and I how to play. Well, Bruce learned how to play--I just bumbled along, losing both games badly... . A fun game with lots of replay ability--I wonder if there is an iPad version for faculty council meetings...?

Dave brought out some Hail Caesar and Scott's team won a game. I presume Scott was not allowed to roll, touch or otherwise look at the dice.

There were also a pair of Warmachine games.

Our next club night is Tuesday, May 6th. Alas, kids' soccer prevents me from attending (unless it rains like a bastard).

Up next: I have some 1/72-scale late Roman cavalry from MiniArt underway. Not really my favourite set--the sculpting seems different from other sets. Lots of mail to paint. Meh. After that, who knows.

Friday, April 11, 2014

Some mounted barbarians

These fellows finish out a box of MiniArt 1/72-scale Germans. This is a nice mix of troops with four light horse that will fit in almost anywhere.

There are also a bunch of medium horse--chainmail tunics and whatnot.

These seem more dated but would work for late Roman or dark ages.

Finally there are some heavier guys. No idea where the fourth one is (perhaps he slide off the paint tray or got left behind on the prep shelf. He'll turn up eventually.

Up next: Some 1/72-scale late Roman heavy cavalry from Mini-Art. These are a bit out of period for me but will be hand to have.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Twilight Struggle

Bruce and I played our first game of Twilight Struggle last night. Wow. Kind of like 1960: The Making of a President on speed. So many choices. Such crappy cards to select among! This is a game that has a lot of replayability.

In the end, Bruce won decisively with the Soviets. I just couldn't keep up to him and switched strategies about half way through to my detriment. We learned a lot about the rules (played a few wrong!) and 2.5 hours just vanished. I was wondering why I was tired on the drive home!

Up next: Some more 1/72-scale Germans.

Monday, April 7, 2014

Pandemic and some Barbarians

As spring break wound to an end, jess and I got in some more Pandemic and managed to beat the game on heroic. Which kind of cries out for an expansion, no?

I also moved a few guys along to bolster the Germans. These are some MiniArt 1/72 Germans from the 4th century (roughly).

I quite like the axe men above (very dynamic) but the shields never come out (mold issue?). I also like the three fellows below on the right.

I must have been uninspired with these last guys as their shields are lame.

Up next: Some 1/72-scale horsemen and a game of Twilight Struggle with Bruce.

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Counters for WW1 Square Bashing

Awhile back, Bruce McFarlane introduced me to Peter Pig's Square Bashing. Rather than buy and paint and base huge new armies, Bruce created some counters so we could try out the rules. With Bruce's permission, I have uploaded the counter sheets here under a Creative Commons license (below). Basically you can use and modify these for personal use but Bruce retains copyright. 

I turned the original .bmp files into .jpgs to save space. If you want the originals (>5MB each) I can email them to you. You should be able to save the images below and then print or manipulate. For whatever reason, there is a light inconsistency in image size below (Arabs, Russians and Turks are different) that you should be able to correct for with your printer or imaging software.




Early War Germans

Late War Germans



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Epic CCA at EWG

We had 14 players out at the club last night. I didn't follow the Warmachine of the Axis and Allies WW1 game (although there were two new guys, which is nice to see!).

I ran a game of Epic CCA with six players. Could have used two more to truly test out the rules, but i think it went okay nonetheless, with Scott and Dave doing double duty as overall and field commanders. I had to cut a few hexes off the field as the tables weren't quite long enough so I reduced the orbit accordingly.

The Romans and Gauls each won a single game and I think both games were decided in the middle. The Epic game plays faster than the traditional game because so many more units are in motion. It was a bit hard to keep track of what was happening elsewhere.  I don't recall that experience the last time I played (Kevin ran a game a couple of years back, I think).

Up next: Some 1/72-scale Germans are mostly painted and I have some 1/72 heavy Roman cavalry built and primed. After that I'm not sure what I'll be working on although I have quite a collection of donations for the MayDay auction (thanks Kent!) to get sorted out.